To Whom It May Concern:
We are communicating with you today to let you know that Pest Control Companies play a direct role in maintaining public health and safety and the essential operation of residencies, essential activities and essential business. Combat Pest Control will continue operations during this State order.
Our work protects and maintains pet and human health.
- In the area of mosquito, flea, and tick control, we are on the front line of protecting the population from insect and rodent borne diseases such as Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever, Zika and Eastern Equine Encephalitis.
- In normal situations, this work would be considered a critical health service. Facing a Pandemic, the urgency of preventing anything that compromises the health and immune response of our citizens is of magnified importance.
- Our services prevent insects that can enter homes and cause structural damage as well as the spread of dangerous bacteria and viruses.
Changes to our operation reduce risk to public health.
Our technicians operate independently utilizing a single vehicle and can adhere to the social distancing recommendations.
- Our work can be done without direct contact with homeowners or facility staff so as to not put anyone at risk.
- Technicians will not be leaving paperwork on the property. Required notification and invoicing will be sent electronically.
- Phone, email and text-ahead procedures allow us to conduct our business without public contact. Our office staff is working remotely, but will be readily accessible by phone or email.
The “stay at home order” issued by the state of Massachusetts exempts “essential businesses and operations.” The essential business exemption pertinent for the pest control industry reads as follows:
Workers such as plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences.
k. Critical Trades. Building and Construction Tradesmen and Tradeswomen, and other trades including but not limited to plumbers, electricians, exterminators, cleaning and janitorial staff for commercial and governmental properties, security staff, operating engineers, HVAC, painting, moving and relocation services, and other service providers who provide services that are necessary to maintaining the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses and Operations.
We are taking aggressive steps within our organization to stop the transmission of COVID-19. One person in a truck and limited exposure to customers and the public. Because our industry functions outside, this greatly reduces the chances to come into contact with other individuals. Within the industry, strong policies are being put in place to maintain social distancing with both clients and within our teams that are working in the field.
We are all in this together, and we stand with our public officials to stop the rapid transmission of COVID-19 while also continuing to perform those essential functions that are necessary within our communities in Massachusetts.
John, Maria, and Tom